To some dandelions are nothing more than weeds and I must admit although we let some grow in the garden because they are a good source of nutritious pollen and nectar for the bees I have never really given the dandelion much notice or credit. However the other day we were talking about childhood memories and some of the traditional drinks that we used to have and Dandelion and Burdock came up into the conversation. I cannot remember if I enjoyed the drink as a child but I definitely associate it with a traditional summer. We had planned on attempting to make our own dandelion and burdock drink with the kids but as we were researching the method we discovered that every part of the dandelion is edible and came across many different recipes that use the petals of dandelions. Our garden is covered with the yellow flower heads and so we decided that rather than digging up the roots we would have a go at making dandelion cupcakes.
Harvesting and preparing dandelions
For this recipe you need the yellow petals and the easiest way to do this is to pick a bunch of dandelion flower heads by the top of the stem from a place that has not been sprayed with chemicals. Once you have collected your dandelions you will need to separate the yellow petals from the green and the quickest way to do this is to use scissors and snip and the bottom of the flower head which will separate the petals, you may get a small amount of green left but a little bit will not matter. Once you have your petals you can put them in a sieve to wash them and then let them dry off.
Dandelion cupcake recipe
For our Dandelion cupcakes we used our favourite cupcake recipe and added the washed yellow petals into the batter and frosting. As we mixed the petals into the mixture they released a really lovely fragrance.
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 115g/4oz butter, softened
- 115g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 115g/4oz self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1-2 cup of dandelion petals
- 175g/6oz unsalted butter,softened
- 280g/10oz icing sugar,sifted
- 1/2 cup dandelion petals
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 180c/ Gas mark 4. Put 12 cupcake cases into a bun tray.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl. Beat together until light and fluffy
- Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Sift in the flour and fold in with the milk
- Tip in the dandelion petals and gently mix together
- Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake in the preheated oven for 20mins or until golden brown
- To make the frosting you need to put the butter in a bowl and gradually add the icing sugar, whisking well after each addition.
- Once you are happy with the texture of your icing gently mix in the dandelion petals
- Spoon or pipe your icing onto the cakes.
We really hope you enjoyed this weeks article as much as we enjoyed eating the cakes! If you do make any dandelion cupcakes then please share with us on social media and let us know how you found them to taste. If you happen to have any other recipes for the use of dandelions please do share them with us we would love to try some more recipes.